10.20.2006

aia event

Tonight, Marty and I presented at an event for the Grand Valley Chapter of the American Institute of Architects (AIA) on the topic of cohousing. There were several moments throughout the evening where I just couldn't believe we were presenting on this; taking people through 4 years of development. In my opening comments I talked about how Marty and I were in the back of a little Dodge Omni car (with Bwindi) on our way to a camping trip. I barely knew Marty at the time, but we started talking about our homes, neighborhoods and hopes for ccommunity. I was having similar conversations with Phil and Lavonne. Out of these conversations the cohousing project was born.

It was really rewarding to present with Marty tonight, so close to having this project off the ground and in the ground. After the presentation our Architect came up to us and said, "it's really amazing what you guys have done." What a huge compliment, and one that extends to so many people in our group. I often get credit for a lot of other people's hard work. I always try to pass on the compliments, but that's the great thing about the cohousing project is that people have come into leadership at the right times. I wish every compliment I receive was heard by everyone.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

It is a great story, Steve. It's hard enough for 6 people to agree on something small; for 30 to agree on something so big and central to their lives is a major accomplishment. Good for you and Marty to get out on the lecture circuit, too.