3.23.2007

racism-free


This morning I attended the Summit on Racism event at DeVos Place. They unveiled their new logo and message to begin creating a movement for a racism-free community. It was a really an inspiring event, but unfortunately ended with the news that Gene Proctor passed away last night. Gene was one of the "godfathers" of the christian community development movement in Grand Rapids, and until very recently, was still involved in almost any initiative of substance in the city that focused on poverty or reconciliation. Aside from being an astounding community loss, it also is a personal loss for me.

One of the first jobs I had out of college was as the Executive Director of a small nonprofit called Urban Produce. Gene was one of the founders of this organization as of Camp Tall Turf, where I now serve as board chair. He sat on my board for several years, and most of the initiatives I'm involved in now have Gene's name in their history some where.

Although our conversations were few, and he was backing out of responsibilities for much of the time I knew him, his influence on me was profound. He was one of those people that could shape the tone of a meeting by just sitting there, smiling. He brought levity and insight to the group, and I think his love for acting and theater translated into how he spoke with people. Everyone I know always felt welcomed and encouraged by knowing Gene. Regardless of who you were talking to, when you mentioned Gene's name, they listened harder or became more energized. For me, he was also the first black man I knew that was in a position of power and influence. That's a product of my sheltered upbringing, not a statement about the quality of leadership in our community. The beauty of watching Gene work was that he could go out to a rich, white guy's office, put them on the spot, get them to donate a wad of money, and they would thank him for it on the way out the door. It was an art!

Gene was a role model for so many people, regardless of their upbringing, race or culture. People found common ground in Gene, and he bridged so many cultures and allowed people to connect with each other in meaningful ways. He was the best of what Grand Rapids has to offer, and he will be missed.

No comments: