5.13.2007

spring rolls into west michigan

Being a native of Washington State, spring in West Michigan usually involves a series of flashbacks for me. The crisper weather, greening of vegetation and frequent rain remind me of summer in my home town. Spring in Michigan is usually a really busy time as people emerge from their hibernation and inactivity of the Winter months. No matter how you try, cabin fever is a very real part of the these isolating months. But all of that makes you anticipate the warmer weather and appreciate it even more.

One of the marks of Spring in West Michigan is the making and distributing of Bell's Oberon. This local beer is only made from about late April through the summer. It is a wheat ale that usually gets served with an orange slice on the rim of the glass. Last year I came across a bar that will mix it with Guinness to create a sort of Black&Tan mix called an "Eclipse". Because of the different densities of the beer, the Guinness rises to the top and the Oberon to the bottom.
So today I think I will go buy a pint and savor the coming of Spring by sitting down and resting like its the middle of January.

No comments: