9.04.2006

grand crossing bridge walk - labor day

Nora, Levi and I headed downtown for the 1st annual bridge walk, led by the mayor. We ended up getting down there just as the first crew started taking off, so we ended up at the end of line.

Thankfully we ran into Paul, Julie and Abbey, and they were going about the same stroller pace we were. I found out later that Dan and Laura (and kids) were somewhere mid-pack.


I was pretty surprised that I didn't recognize more folks. I figured there would be the 50-100 usual suspects, but the crowd was pretty big, taking up several bridges as it snaked through downtown. I heard a lot of comments and talk that suggested many folks were coming in from the burbs, "Wow, they really cleaned things up down here", "I haven't been down here in awhile..." The DeVos supporters suggested the same about the demographic. I figure all Granholm's folks were over at the Labor Day Parade.

Heartwell, who led the walks, said "It's about fitness, it's about community spirit, it's about meeting your neighbors, meeting new people as you walk along the way. It's a great day for Grand Rapids."


It really was a pretty great morning, so here are some pics...


Paul and Nora with Amway and new Hotel in background


Those little colorful dots are people

Crew on the 6th St. Bridge

1 comment:

Amy said...

Great pictures Steve!! They brought me back to my days working downtown!! Sounds like you guys had a great labor day. Please say "hi" to Nora for me. When's the next visit to Lyndenville, we can't wait to meet little Levi!!